Duration: 100 minutes
Number of sessions: One
Location:Eleanor Rathbone Building
You can take part if you meet these criteria:
- Are aged 18- 65
- Fluent English speakers
- Enjoy consuming cookies
- Are not vegan or vegetarian
- Are regular alcohol drinkers. You should only participate if you a) drink alcohol at least once per week and drink at least 10 alcohol units per week. For example, there are 10 units of alcohol in three and a half pints of lager OR five 175ml glasses of wine. This inclusion is to help ensure you do not feel ill if you are given alcohol to drink during the experiment.
- Provide an alcohol breathalyser reading of 0.0 mg/l. As you may be given alcohol during the experiment, we will ask you to provide a breathalyser reading before starting the experiment.
- Are able to consume a light meal (i.e. not high in fat) approx. 1 hour before each session.
You cannot take part if any of the below is true:
- Have ever received treatment for an alcohol problem, or if you are currently seeking such treatment or trying to cut down how much alcohol you drink.
- If you currently or have previously had an eating disorder.
- Currently taking any medication which may be affected by drinking alcohol (e.g., antidepressants, benzodiazepine), this includes cold and flu medicine, such as paracetamol.
- Currently suffering from or recovering from any illness that may increase your sensitivity to alcohol, e.g. cold, flu.
- FEMALES: Breastfeeding or pregnant. As the experiment may involve giving alcohol to drink, if you are pregnant or there is any possibility of you being pregnant or you have had unprotected sexual intercourse since your last period you will NOT be eligible to take part in this study.
- Be taking any medication that may influence appetite, with the exception of oral contraceptives.
- Have any food allergies or intolerances.
This study is investigating how varying alcohol dosage can affect memory processes (measured by delayed recall of a word list), and alter taste perception of certain food. I am looking for male and female participants to participate in one session lasting approximately 100 minutes each. In each session you will consume a drink with either a high or low dose of alcohol. You will also complete a memory task, complete a series of mood and hunger ratings, and a taste test.
Researcher: Tom Gough, firstname.lastname@example.org
Enter your details below to be contacted by the researcher